Friday, February 18, 2011

Resilient like a Collard

Hey, a lot of gardens are waking up!  One of my fav blogs from Cleveland, Ohio is back online and thinking of the seasonal potential.  Check out http://www.thisgardenisillegal.com/.  Anyone who uses Baker Creek seeds is a friend of mine!

My (B.C.) peas didn't mind the last cold snap and have surprised me with their appearance.  This was my first shot at this type of veggie, so I tried not to expect much.  Then my hopes really fell with the snow and hard freezes. 

My (all heirloom, non-GMO B.C. too!) kale, Boston lettuce, and rainbow chard did freeze off but the spinach and collards loved the cold.  Central Texas Gardener drawled, "You can't kill a collard," and I understand.  They can also stand our summer heat too without bolting too quickly.  Initially, I had put them in the crappiest place in the garden because I thought I didn't care for their taste but I just didn't know them well.  The funny thing is, they're also "green cover", so at the end of the season I'll turn them over and they'll leave that clay-ridden area better than it was.

I'm glad to have learned more about gardening this year.  Even (crop) failures really aren't.

Everything is growth if you know how to look.