Monday, May 2, 2011

May Happenings

I've been waiting for May.  It seems to be a month of happenings.

Most forefront in my mind is J's departure after school lets out.  I have the whole month with her, and her mind is on her b-day.  She leaves the single digits this year and has indeed grown into quite a little woman.  She amazes me every day in every way.  Yesterday we worked on multiplying megacolumns of numbers and she finally took flight on the concept.  Afterwards, we chatted about her party and decided on some logistics.

My mom will be arriving at the end of the month, which = busting it out around the house.  No more chipping away at long-term projects- must focus and complete!  The house and gardens are starting to look good and even becoming more usable, like the closet rod that's finally going up in the laundry room.  There is still a lot to touch up. 

Here's the negative view I'm trying to uplift- By the time I finish, mom will come take my kid and leave me in this beautiful home.  I probably should give up on making anything look nice, deal with negative comments, and spend my time taking J to festivals and reading to her.

Here is a lesson in balance.  Am I up for a challenge?  Can I let go of what my mom might say if things aren't perfect so I can spend quality time with my kid?  I did accomplish that somewhat this weekend, but not enough.  I can do better.

Also this month are LO decisions.  The Structure is quietly waiting to hear how it will be reorged.  We are all momentarily the same under this big umbrella; we all hold our breaths the same hitched way.

It is cold in Texas today.  Odd for May, to be at 47 degrees.  Things are different.

And Osama bin Laden is dead.  I hear all the newspeople saying the it's good that the U.S. was the one that got to kill him, that it was our right to be able to do so.  I'm glad he's no longer able to harm anyone else.  Won't there be others to step up and take his place?  Does his death undo the others he caused?  I've always felt pro-death penalty maybe because I didn't believe it was fair to pay taxes on someone who could never be released and with Texas being a pro-penalty state maybe it's been a bit drilled into the politics here.  I just feel something a little more about this issue than I expected. 

I don't know that I've mentioned on here, I've been working the last few weeks with my yoga teacher.  In return for some marketing work (woo-hoo, my college minor, some degree work!) I can take the certified yoga teacher training program.  I have to accumulate the equivalent number of hours first, then I can "spend" them on the training (woo-hoo, non college related career opportunity!).  I don't even know that I want to teach yoga any more than I want to teach flute (which I'm already degreed to do), but I do want to take the courses.  Every yoga studio around here hires instructors and many offer benefits- flute opportunities are much rarer.  Also, I really enjoy yoga.  Maybe when I'm old I can move to the beach and sit in lotus and play my flute.  Ugh- so hippie.  Sadly, part of me really likes that thought. I'd take my laptop.

Also this month-
  • Mother's Day and free dinner at Mama Fu's!  I'm going to see if I can work something out there. 
  • C may get on the manager track at the part-time second job he's been working.  They've been training him!  This means benefits even if I'm LO'd
  • A surgery for a distant friend who has a place in my heart