Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Oh!

Well, this will seem obvious to you. 

I have had an issue in my races in that I continuously step off the path and let runners behind me pass. Then I spend the next few minutes of my run pissed at myself. It's hard to breathe with a lump in my throat. 

I kept thinking I did this because I wanted to run alone, quietly. Btw- it didn't work. There was always another runner behind me. I was always convinced I was finally in last place, yet there was an endless supply of runners breathing down my neck. Even with the fractured hip, I finished ridiculously well. Perspective?

I'm going to train differently this year. Here's what you already knew: I shouldn't be thinking about the other runners. 

There would be no stepping off the path if I was deeper into my own run. Oh you silly girl!  It was there all along. Stop comparing yourself. Stop running scared. Stop thinking about the finish line. 

I just need to enjoy my life, and an enjoyable life will follow.

I've worked my way back up to 5k distances. I'm also cross training for lateral strength. Yoga this afternoon was the cherry on top. 

An enjoyable life.